Saturday, September 21, 2013

September 18, 2013

September 18, 2013
Trail Lake to somewhere in New Mexico!
~26 miles

Oh what a night. I awoke around midnight to the first rumblings of thunder and some rain pattering on my tent. The weather intensified over the next half hour and between the bright flashes of lightning, the incredible cracks of thunder, and hail assaulting my thin tent roof I didn't get back to sleep until around 4am. 

When I did get going in the morning everything was shrouded in fog. The first couple miles were agonizingly slow due to the trail being all but non existent with only cairns to guide the way. With the addition if the fog, it sometimes took a few minutes to find the next cairn. Around midmorning the trail became more apparent and the clouds lifted, along with my spirits. Things were going just fine until the fog returned, along with some wind and rain. It brought back bad memories if the previous section, and coupled with the lack of sleep, I was not a happy camper. Around noon things cleared up a bit and the sun even peaked out occasionally. 

The highlight of the day was definitely crossing the state border into New Mexico. However exciting it may be, it was also fairly anticlimactic. Not much seemed to change and it even rained on me within a couple hours. Come on New Mexico, give me sunshine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment