Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 19, 2013

August 19, 2013
Ridge to Three Mile Lake Trail
33 miles
 
Today was another great day of hiking. Pretty easy hiking most of the day, with a few moderate climbs and descents, but it was easy to get 33 by 7:15. 
 
The big story of the day today was crossing the Wyoming/Colorado border! I am super stoked to have one more state under my belt and am looking forward to the big mountains and big climbs that this state has in store. 
 
I don't know the exact mileage right now, but I believe I also crossed the 1,500 mile mark today which puts me past the halfway point! Crazy! I can remember how melancholy I felt as I crossed the halfway point on the PCT knowing that it was already half over and the countdown to the finish was then to begin. For the CDT I have a rather different feeling. I am very excited to be halfway through the hike and somehow this feels like more of an accomplishment than halfway along the PCT. I think it has something to do with how much more of a challenge the CDT has been for me mentally. I've already had a pretty low point when in Montana, much lower than any point on the PCT, and have overcome that hurdle, however, there is still a long way to go. I'm looking forward to whatever comes next!
 
 
Oh man, just took a look at the maps for the rest of the section and realized I only have 37 miles to get to the pass! I thought there was another 52 miles, which would have been two days easy. Now that I know, I am hatching a plan to get to Rabbit Ears Pass before it gets dark so I can hitch into town tomorrow instead of the following day. Looks like it will be an early start for me tomorrow, but I do like a good challenge :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment