Sunday, August 4, 2013

August 2, 2013
Heart Lake to Ridge at 10k
30 miles

Ahh, I slept much better last night, although there was still a thunderstorm that passed over at some point. I decided today that I was going to hike for 2 hours at a time and then take a break. The break would be however long my body said it should be and then I would repeat the process. Without pushing too hard, and again with easy terrain today, I was able to get in five, two-hour hikes today and make 30 miles, and all by 7pm! I think this may be my new method, at least as a general rule. I also thought about the reasons I am out here to begin with. First and foremost I am out here to have fun and enjoy the experience! Nobody is forcing me to be out here and I could simply go home any time I want. Sometimes all it takes is to take a step back and gain a little perspective, although it can be difficult to not get caught up in the minutia of mileage and elevation and other numbers on a piece of paper that really don't mean much at the end of the day.  

I followed the Snake River for about 10 miles before leaving Yellowstone NP and crossing into the Teton Wilderness. It's nice to be back in National Forest again, not having to worry about getting to a specific campsite for the night. 

Towards the end of the day I also caught back up with Bert. I was even able to take a couple pictures of some of his maps for the upcoming Wind River Range section so I can do a couple of the cool alternate routes that aren't part of the official CDT. 

Tonight I am camped at about 10,000' and have a wonderful view of some mountains to the south. Yellowstone is a cool place, u our with all its thermal features, but I'd gladly take mountains over geysers any day of the week. Seeing them or being amongst them is my happy place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment