Wednesday, July 17, 2013

July 15, 2013

Pintler Creek to Schultz Saddle
~28 miles

A few days ago at the beginning of the Mount Haggin Wildlife Preserve there was an informational sign about the area which also included a quote by John Burroughs that I think sums up my experience on the CDT fairly accurately thus far, with the exception of frost but I'm sure those days are in my future:

"I am in love with this world, I have nestled lovingly in it, I have climbed its mountains and roamed its forests, felt the sting of its frosts, the oppression of the heats, the drench of its rains, the fury of its winds, and always have beauty and joy waited upon my goings and comings." 

The hiking today was much easier, with less up and down than yesterday. The majority of the day was spent walking on the divide itself and there were some great views along the way. 

Tonight Sparrow and I set up camp before 7pm and are currently enjoying the comfort of a campfire, a rarity for me on the trail. I am usually too preoccupied with other pre-bed preparations and do not want the added responsibility of ensuring the fire is out before going to bed. And in reality the only reason I am enjoying a fire tonight is because of Sparrow, so thanks go to him.  Another good day indeed. 

As I was walking along the divide this morning I came up with this little haiku. Nothing mind blowing, but it is a fun mental activity and passes some time while hiking. 

Hiking the divide
Pacific or Atlantic
Which way will I flow?

Sometimes when going up and down along the divide this is how I feel:

On the rise again
What wonders will I see next?
Always one more hill

No comments:

Post a Comment