Friday, July 5, 2013

June 24, 2013



June 24, 2013
Day 7 - Marias Pass
East Glacier, MT to 5 miles south of Marias Pass
~20 miles

Got a bit of a slow start today after staying the night in a trailer in Gail and Judy's yard. It was a fitful sleep due to Sparrow snoring and randomly yelling in his sleep in the middle of the night. Oh what a night. 

Judy made coffee for us in the morning and after a cup Gail drove us over to a little cafe for breakfast and then to the PO to pick up packages. A HUGE thank you to Gail and Judy (and friends) for being such amazing trail angels! It was a pleasure to meet you both and I thank you for taking a chance on a couple of strangers (handsome strangers, I might add). 

Once on foot again, it took a little while to figure out exactly which dirt road out of town the trail followed. Eventually we got it and switched into hike mode. I was pretty groggy throughout the day, partially as a result of less than stellar sleep, and partially because we just walked through the woods most of the day without many views and got rained on along the way. 

I felt better after dinner and my legs and feet are feeling pretty good. While at Marias Pass a Chevy truck pulled up to let us know that nine other hikers had gone through there in the morning. Hopefully Sparrow and I will catch up to them this leg or the next. It's been good hiking with Sparrow but we are both looking forward to meeting and hiking with some of the other thrus as well. 

Tonight is the first night camped outside of Glacier NP so we had to hang our food bags in actual trees rather than the metal bars that are suspended between trees at the designated camp sites. It was a bit more of a challenge, but I think we both got it. I'm sure it will get easier as we have more opportunities to practice. Here's hoping my food is still hanging and untouched by critters or bears in the morning. 

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment